Monday, November 3, 2008

Africa is the place...

that everyone thinks of when they think"missions".
 I say this because I have heard this out of many people's mouth. 
 There are so many place's in the world that need attention, money, man power, medicine, etc. and while Africa does need those things in many areas, so many African people are full of joy, a joy that I long to see in the eyes of those I brushed shoulders with today  downtown on Michigan Ave. Yes there was and is need in Africa, it was everywhere. 
 There were children playing in the sewer, or was that the drinking water. Our friends there wouldn't let us walk outside after sun down. We would walk certain directions so we didn't get mugged. Everywhere we were we got asked for help. 
 There were your posh places in town, sure, but many of these places were so far removed from the reality of the real peoples day to day.
 OK. There you go, there is my giving in to the desire to write the less than satisfactory reality that we were faced with everyday there.
 
 The truth be told about Africa is that it is a beautiful place full of beautiful people. Many  of the people there are richer than most Americans I see walking down Michigan Ave. ,richer with joy, laughter,relationships and even peace. 
 This past year in the city of Nairobi young adults my age have seen more violence than they have ever seen in there entire lives, yet they have more peace and contentment than those of us who have never even seen a street fight, let alone one of our own family members killed in front of us.
 I am not trying to be graphic or just use powerful scenarios but I want to bring you the truth that we experienced.
 
 OK. Pause...
I have to go to a Dr. appt. to get a chest X-ray and to meet with my surgeons nurse. I will write more soon.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I really want to go to Africa! It's sounds like such a pretty place that's not commercialized. I really want to see some pictures. Hope your recovery is going well.

Sarah Barga Pollasch said...

Sheesh, Kyle. Holy crap. I saw your email about your blog in Chris' inbox, and we just read a bunch of your entries, and saw your photo (yowza). Man, have you been through some stuff or what? We are praising God with you guys that you are alive and well (yes?), and pray that God would continue to give you supernatural healing, strength, encouragement...Himself. Thanks for posting your thoughts and experiences, and letting us know what's going on in your life. We bless you!
Sending you & Kim love and bendiciones,
Sarah & Chris and our bambino